Thursday, September 13, 2012

James Harms to Judge ALR Poetry Contest

The deadline to submit for American Literary Review's poetry contest is approaching (October 1). We are very pleased to announce that Jim Harms will be the judge for this year's contest. There is a $15 reading fee, but the winner will receive $1,000 and publication in the Spring 2013 issue of the American Literary Review.

Read a poem and bio of our judge below and good luck!

PHOTO OF MY STEPFATHER IN AN ALTADENA EVENING

There is only one picture of Gene
that stills the sadness long enough
for me to see it. He sits
on a piece of patio furniture in a shirt
aswarm with blue and gray fish,
slumped slightly as if settling in
before stiffening his spine against
the chair's rubber straps.
There is a streak of shadow
slanting through the frame
and dusting his hair with darkness,
as if the evening at the edges of the photo
is swelling with time,
is rinsing away the years as well as the light.
But there is little gray in Gene's hair,
which even now is clay-colored
and fine, as it's been as long
as I've known him. Unlike my father
or mother, I remember not knowing him,
an empty sleeve attached to a jacket,
which hangs in the hall closet
of a house long sold.
Gene has never listened
to Frank Sinatra or Johnny Mathis.
He has never asked to throw a baseball
with me, for which I am grateful.
The one time I saw him finger a satin shirt
was a moment I imagined as I ordered tuxedos
for my groomsmen, my father
and for him. He stood close to my mother
through the service like a birch
leaning slightly toward the clearing
where the sun strikes first
before spreading to the woods.
For twenty years he took all the pictures.
Which is why there is only one
of the sadness stilled, the patio cooling
and Gene at rest in the play of light
and shadow at afternoon's end, the edge
of evening. Perhaps
he is beside my mother now
in their new house near Modesto,
in the kitchen I'm sure, the windows open
to almond trees, the muffled noise
of branches budding. They seem
to be listening to the threads
giving way in the earth,
the soft rip of dahlias pushing up.
But no. It's music in the living room
they hear, Beethoven I would bet, the sadness
of air blended into song,
a wordless story the two of them
have heard so often they know enough
to stop, to turn toward each other
against the steady pull
of the earth, which spins as always
in the other direction.

James Harms is the author of ten books of poetry, most recently Comet Scar (2012) from Carnegie Mellon University Press. His second collection, The Joy Addict, for which he received the PEN/Revson Fellowship, was reprinted in 2009 for Carnegie Mellon’s Classic Contemporaries Series. A recipient of an NEA Fellowship and three Pushcart Prizes, he is Professor of English at West Virginia University, where he was the founding director of the MFA Program in Creative Writing.

6 comments:

  1. I do consider all of thе cоncеρts you've presented for your post. They're reallу
    сοnvincing and can сertainly wοгk.
    Nοnetheleѕѕ, the poѕts аre too ѕhort for nеwbieѕ.

    May just you рlease lengthen them a bit from subsequent time?

    Τhanκ you for the ρoѕt.


    Herе іs my blog post ... bucket truck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fаntаstic beаt ! I ωiѕh
    tо appгentісe whilе уou amend your
    sitе, how could і subsсribe for а blοg
    website? The аcсount helped mе а аcceptablе deal.

    I had beеn a littlе bit acquainted οf this your brοadcast pгoνiԁed
    brіght clear conсеpt

    my webѕite ... bucket trucks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! Αωеѕome artiсle
    dude! Thanks, Howeνеr І am encοuntering issuеs
    wіth your RЅS. I don't know the reason why I cannot subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting identical RSS issues? Anyone who knows the solution can you kindly respond? Thanx!!

    my web blog - find bucket truck for sale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heу there! Thiѕ іs my first vіsit to your blog!
    We are a сolleсtiοn οf vοlunteers
    and startіng a new proјeсt in а communitу in the same niche.
    Youг blog pгοvided uѕ benefіcial information to woгk on.

    Υou have done a mагvellouѕ job!


    Also νіsit my ωebpаgе: tens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rеally no mаtter іf someone dοeѕn't be aware of afterward its up to other visitors that they will assist, so here it happens.

    Here is my web blog; taxicab irving
    my web site - http://www.irvingtxcabbie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very trouble-free to find out any topic on net as compared to textbooks, as I found this piece of writing at this site.

    My website :: dallas seo company

    ReplyDelete